Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Manly DIY

Trying to come up with a creative idea for  your dad for Father's day or a boyfriend/husband for a birthday? Well try this!
                                        

I made this for my boyfriend for his 21st birthday and he absolutely loved it and it was super easy! I just picked up a few things and two cases of his favorite beer. I went to Michael's and bought a pack of 8", 10" and 12" cardboard cake circles. You can make your own, but I didn't have anything laying around I could use and I was already there getting ribbon. I had to get 2 cases of Stella and you will also need some tape. You can add your own topper, but i just made the 21 out of paper and colored it and then taped it to two straws. 

So recap of what you will need:
3 Cardboard Circles- 8", 10", and 12" 
Around 30 beers
Ribbon
Tape
Your own topping

How to make the Beer Cake:

  1. Starting with the bottom layer, I just lined up my cans in a ring around the outer edge. I added a few cans in the middle for structural support. I didn’t need to transport my cake so I opted to NOT use tape to stick my cans to the cardboard circles.
  2. Add the second cardboard circle and ring of beers. This time I didn’t use a center can though. Wasn’t necessary, but you can if you'd like!
  3. Add the third and final cardboard circle with the last beer on top.
  4. Add a ribbon around each layer. You can use double sided tape or just tape the ends on the back of the cake.
  5. Add your cake topper! Some ideas that I have seen are lottery tickets, ribbon, "Super Dad" on scrapbook paper, and so many more. 

How easy is this? I know it's been done before, but I had so much fun making it and my boyfriend loved it so much that I thought I would share with all of you! Have any of y'all made one? Comment with your tips, tricks and ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips